30 Day Trainig in Real World



    I always struggle to find right words and metaphors when someone tells me they want a confident well trained horse in walk, trot, lope in traffic etc in 30 days. To be honest first think that comes to my mind is “hmm maybe this person doesn’t know much about horses, maybe its better to stay away, maybe there will be a bad wreck because they don’t understand, maybe, maybe...” I must say first of all, I am not the best in the world, I am not the most experienced in the world, but I am pretty OK with horses, dogs and exotic animals as well, to be fair on the other hand too. It takes ME about a year or 2 to make a solid and confident horse in traffic, mountains, rivers, wildlife and so on and I ride lots. Walk and trot are the first two gaits I work on with new horses, I never push them to lope (well most I do not), I try to set them up to tell me they are ready.

    Every horse is different, some would buck like mad if you push them too fast and some love it. Truth is there is no formula, no book, no schedule, they are live individuals, animals and I really struggle with understanding what people expect and how they think. Perhaps it is a feeling of getting MORE for their money? Maybe, but reality is most likely the exact opposite, you might get a quantity, but you wont get quality and honestly I would rather have a fine supper instead of a big fat burned steak. I think what makes a horse trainer is the ability to understand and feel what the animal thinks, expects and will do, that for sure makes it a bit safer too. If it was as easy as reading a book and doing what it says, everyone could do it, don't you think? If someone asks me to make him a confident horse to lope on to the sunset beside a highway in 30 days (from a colt that knows nothing) then I must consider ones safety and experience, serious, there can be a real accident. And yet, this is very common question I get asked. Perhaps a race track might be more what they are looking for? 
    Training horses is a never ending endeavor, from the day they are born till the day they die. You are never really safe and there is not a “bullet proof” horse, keep that in mind, always. Horse riding is my passion, but it is not safe, if I wanted to do something safe I would play chess I guess and please remember you will not get a safe horse in a month or 2 and even 3. I don't care who says what, I have seen it all, been there, done that. Most horses we get for training already have been to those who promised miracles in 30 days. So please be realistic, love your horse, stay safe, be truth to your self and most of all try to learn as much as you can and ride often ;)

        John

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.