Pick up vs. make him fly to me

Alright,
so now we decided to move on to some training. Well we want to have a flighted bird, whether you choose to fly him outdoors or indoors you still want him to fly. So why should you always pick him up? I dont know, I do not, I make them come to me when I want them to play or train or whatever I want to do with them. I am not their personal taxi and they do not carry me around either and after all, they like to fly anyway. 
So we want to condition our bird to the fact that they come to us, we dont come to them. This is especially important if we ever decide to free fly our birds outside! Imagine that you will have to climb 100 feet tall tree to pick them up, uhh no. 
Get them used to the fact right away and it will be that much easier for you outdoors when you need it. Now it will of course take some training on your part if your bird doesnt do recalls yet, but I will cover Recall Training in a separate chapter far more in depth because it deserves a chapter on its own and it is a quite complex and very important foundation of a flighted parrot.

Happy training,

John


2 comments:

  1. I HAVE climbed 100 ft of tree...more then once to get my parrot. Would not come to me till my hand was right under it's chest! Gettin way too old for tree climbing! I love the idea of my bird coming to me as long as it happens when I want them to come and not when THEY want to come. I guess that is covered in the training...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a good exercise sometimes :) Probably the main reason why he didnt come sooner is because he was scared, it is quite terrifying for a bird who isnt used to flying free to end up that high up in a tree.

    I suggest you look at:
    Training - Recall Training and
    Training - Recall Training Philosophy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.